Title of the post: Regional Bureau Secretary
Reference of the post: INT00734
Directorate: Global Outreach and Regional Support (GORS)
Duty station: INTERPOL Regional Bureau for Eastern Africa in Nairobi, Kenya
Length and type of contract: Three-year secondment
Number of posts: 1
Security level: Basic
Deadline for application: 10 November 2016
The post holder will provide secretarial and administrative services to the Head of the Regional Bureau (RB) personally, and handle daily routine matters as they concern the work of the Bureau in its program and project areas.
Duty 1: Perform secretarial duties and provide administrative support to the Head of the RB, as well as the Officers assigned to the Bureau by ensuring the efficient preparation and processing of correspondence and documentation needed for the daily work of the Head of the RB and the Officers.
- Keep available all necessary materials to enable the Head of the RB and the officers to prepare letters, reports, etc.
- Prepare routine correspondence and other correspondence as requested by the Head of the RB and the officers.
- Handle specific files and/or assignments at the request of the Head of the RB.
- Respond to internal/external requests as they concern all the activities of the RB.
- Be responsible for maintaining the agenda of the Head of the RB and the officers.
- Ensure that documentation can be traced and retrieved upon request by implementing and maintaining an efficient filing system to assist both the personnel of the RB, and other officials who may request a document linked to the RB’s activities and/or projects.
- Respect administrative instructions and deadlines imposed regarding the processing of files.
- Initiative and develop, with the approval of the Head of the RB, administrative and management procedures in order to ensure the efficient functioning of both the RB and the Organization in general. To continually review these procedures, and modify if necessary, in order to adapt to the needs of the RB and its crime program areas.
- Enable the quick and efficient retrieval of information, previous decisions, policy guidelines, relevant correspondence, etc. relating to the work of the RB.
- Process, type and format correspondence and documentation arising from the work of the RB and its crime programs.
- Assume an active role in the preparation and organization of missions, international meetings and regional conferences. Perform a secretariat function for meetings and conferences as necessary.
- Ensure the timely follow up of tasks assigned to the RB, ensure that requests processed within the Bureau are complete, comprehensive and presented in a neat, logical and methodical manner.
- Verification of all correspondence.
- Ensure the implementation of administrative directives from the hierarchy.
- Suggest ways to improve administrative procedures as and when appropriate.
- Carry out secretarial and administrative tasks as part of a regional project team.
- Liaison with NCBs, RBs and external organisations in the context of requesting information/documentation etc., in relation to on-going projects.
- Timely processing and dissemination of information/documentation received. Any other tasks assigned by the Head of the RB and/or officers in the furtherance of specific projects.
- At least two years Bilingual secretarial education from a university or an equivalent training.
- Fluency in either English or French with an excellent command of the other language.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a secretarial post or equivalent experience beneficial to the position;
Specific skills required
- Solid computer knowledge including excellent command of Office Suite and Internet;
- Strong communication skills, both in written and oral form.
Special aptitudes required
- Ability to cope with sudden increases in workload, and high degree of availability (may be required to work overtime or outside normal working hours);
- Ability to work in a team and to maintain good relations with members of the General Secretariat;
- Ability to react quickly and adapt to changing circumstances;
- Personal and professional maturity;
- Ability to maintain objectivity and apply logical reasoning;
- Ability to work in teams as well as individually;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Good social skills, particularly in a multicultural environment;
- Initiative, creativity (original thinking) and curiosity;
- Ability to synthesize;
- Good listening skills.
- Trilingual secretarial qualification;
- Knowledge of any other official language (Spanish or Arabic);
- Similar experience in another International Organization.
Source: Tanzania Jobs