Position Title : Intern – IBM Project Assistant (Verification Services)
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Intern
Type of Appointment : Internship, 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 November 2016
Reference Code: INT 2016/16
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM provides, at the request of and in agreement with the States concerned, international
migration services and expertise, to include operational assistance to States on migration
At headquarters, IOM’s Immigration and Border Management Division (IBM), oversees such
operational assistance where it involves IOM field staff conducting integrity checks on the civil
status, employment and education documentation of migrants at the request of States. Such
checks are referred to as Verification Services.
IOM is routinely called upon to fill gaps where States may have limited or no local verification
and/or fraud detection capacity, where poor telecommunications may make remote verifications
unfeasible or in cases where verification-related travel may be too costly and/or time-consuming
for States. In 2015, IOM facilitated the verification of over 12,600 documents in over 50
Trustworthy and expedient verification of migration-relevant documentation directly with issuing
authorities greatly supports the migration of bona fide visa applicants, contributes to timely
decision making processes and further contributes to safe, non-exploitive and regular migration.
IOM is seeking to expand and enhance its service delivery in this area, with a focus on services
currently being provided in Africa on behalf of the Australian Department of Immigration and
Border Protection (DIBP). Training and standard operating procedures need to be revised, joint
training in Africa with DIBP needs to be arranged and a new Microsoft SharePoint processing
solution tested and finalized.
The intern will report directly to the IBM Senior Specialist, Facilitated Migration.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Learn and be familiar with the past and current Verification Services agreements with States as provided by the Supervisor.
- Conduct a revised mapping and comparison of all current IOM Verification Services globally.
- Research and document best practices and guidelines in the field of integrity checking with the goal of improving IOM’s service delivery.
- In coordination with the Supervisor, seek updated training materials/guidelines from interested States and gather best practices from IOM field staff.
- Create a revised internal Verification Services training manual for IOM field staff.
- Assist the Supervisor with revising the standard operating procedures (SoPs) for Verification Services on behalf of the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) in Africa.
- Assist the Supervisor in testing, improving and finalizing the proposed Microsoft SharePoint processing solution being developed by IOM MAC ICT.
- Liaise with IBM’s Regional Thematic Specialists and IOM field missions in Africa to assist with the implementation of the revised DIBP SoPs with the goal of standardizing services across Africa and improving service delivery standards.
- Assist the Supervisor to coordinate joint Verification Services training with DIBP in Africa.
- Perform any other Facilitated Migration duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor. Required Qualifications and Experience:
University degree in International Relations, Business Administration, the Social Sciences, Development Studies, International Affairs or any related discipline.Experience
Computer literacy in MS Office;
Skilled in MS SharePoint design, configuration and usage strongly preferred;
Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios in a timely manner;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines; and
Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently. Languages
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of German, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.Desirable Competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.Other
A stipend is available for this post
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.Personal Development
The incumbent will acquire technical knowledge in the area of Immigration and Border Management. He/She will also gain in-site experience in working in an international multi-cultural environment, with an intergovernmental organization.
Carte de Legitimation
The organization will obtain the ‘carte de legitimation’ for the duration of the internship for the
selected candidate. Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly
stipend to help offset costs. Applicants are advised to please consider the cost of living in
Geneva prior to applying.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 08 November 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 28.10.2016 to 08.11.2016