NOTS, founded in 2010, is a social enterprise that aims to replace all kerosene lamps in Sub-Saharan Africa with solar lamps by 2025. In February 2014 NOTS started operations in Rwanda. This was inspired by Rwanda’s commitment to achieve universal access to electricity by 2020, with renewable energy as a key component.
Position: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Company: NOTS Solar Lamps BV
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Skills: Marketing and Sales; Building Partnership; and Leadership
Remuneration: Competitive base with above market level bonus, plus shares
Language requirements: English
Start Date: February 2017
About NOTS Solar Lamps BV:NOTS, founded in 2010, is a social enterprise that aims to replace all kerosene lamps in Sub-Saharan Africa with solar lamps by 2025. In February 2014 NOTS startedoperations in Rwanda. This was inspired by Rwanda’s commitment to achieve universal access to electricity by 2020, with renewable energy as a key component. Last year, Rwanda decided to implementthe ‘Bye Bye Agatadowa’ (‘Bye Bye Kerosene Lamps’; ‘BBA’), a program developed by NOTS to replace all kerosene lamps in Rwanda with solar lamps and home systems by 2020.NOTS plans to sell at least 900,000 solar product units in the next 2 years, representing a sales value of about USD 65 million, mostly on credit. For this, NOTS will seek to attractabout USD 45 millionin capital in a planned ‘note issue’within East-Africa and plan to list on the Rwanda Stock Exchange. For implementing BBA we have developed a unique business and funding model and entered into partnerships with the GoR (awareness campaign and a voucher program for 367,000 low income households); MTN Rwanda (co-branding, distribution via MTN agents / shops, and credit via mobile money platform); a Rwandan bank (assessment and management of lamp loans); and Barefoot Power (supply of solar products). NOTS Solar Lamps has teams of professionals in Amsterdam(3 employees) and Kigali (8).
- We are looking for an ambitious CEO to lead NOTS in Rwanda and eventually across the Sub-Saharan continent when we roll out beyond Rwanda.
- As CEO, you will lead the implementation of BBA in Rwanda and be accountable for achieving our ambitious targets for 2017 – 2020.
- You will direct and oversee all operations of NOTS in Rwanda on a day-to-day basis.
- You will be responsible for continuously optimizing our customer offering (product range, pricing, credit management, after-sales-service, etc.);
- manage and support the MTN wholesalers and agents to achieve their sales targets;
- develop, co-develop with MTN, effective marketing and promotion campaigns;
- co-manage with our banking partner the default rate on the lamp loans;
- manage the supply of solar products and the related logistical processes; and continuously optimize the relationship with the Government of Rwanda (GoR).
- As CEO will report to Bart Hartman, the chairman and founder of NOTS, and will be based in Kigali.
- You will have a postgraduate degree or equivalent; at least 8 years working experience in marketing & sales management positions in consumer product companies in Sub-Saharan Africa, of which at least 4 years in Rwanda;and at least 4 years P&L responsibility.
- You will have demonstrable capabilities and experience in building senior level partnerships and multi-stakeholder relationships;
- communicating and collaborating effectively at all levels, on the ground staff and clients;
- managing teams; developing marketing and sales strategies; and getting things done.
- You are result driven,hands-on and fluent in English (verbal and written).
- Fluency in Kinyarwanda will give you an edge.
- You will have a good sense of humor and appreciate the fact that NOTS is a social enterprise.
- You will be a member of a small, dynamic team that will have a huge, unprecedented impact (quantum leap in solar penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa with substantial positive effects for the population);
- you will have the opportunity to further develop a unique business and funding model and to introduce innovative methods and systems to the solar industry; and you will work closely with a visionary and determined entrepreneur who has invested significant capital in the company.
- You will be compensated with a significant base salary plus a substantial performance based bonus that could add up to remuneration far above CEO market level.
- Additionally, after 12 months you will have the opportunity to obtain shares in the company.
HOW TO APPLY:
If this is about you, please send your CV plus a letter motivating your
interest and suitability to; email@example.com by close of business day on Tuesday 10th January 2017.
Source: Rwanda Jobs