CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE’s community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, and increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
The Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Unit is responsible for ensuring that CARE Tanzania (CTz) program and program initiatives contribute to the achievement of its strategy (WEZESHA) goal which is about to foster vibrant, equitable and resilient rural communities where women are empowered to realize their social, political and economic rights and natural resources are sustainably managed in the context of climate change. The position is responsible for providing strategic leadership in operationalization of the medium term sub strategy which aims at promoting women’s economic empowerment, advance gender equality, and address social injustices affecting women in rural Tanzania. The incumbent will guide programming within WEZESHA’s core thematic areas using twin track approach for promoting gender equality and Women’s empowerment. . The position is also responsible to ensure that systems and human resources are in place for proper implementation and management of CTz program and program initiatives.
The position is responsible for leading the development, funding and implementation of the GEWE sub strategy focusing on three key thematic areas namely financial inclusion, women rights and women entrepreneurship. The position manages a team of professionals, and is also responsible for overseeing the development, testing and implementation of new and innovative program approaches appropriate for the CO impact group and operating environment/context.
This position is a key member of the CO Senior Management Team (SMT). It is responsible for (along with the DCD-Program, Maintaining good working relationships with national government officials, donors, CARE International Members (CIMs) and relevant civil society organizations, networks and alliances. The position reports to Deputy Country Director – Programs and works closely with other Director of Program Unit, Monitoring Evaluation and Learning Coordinator and other senior program and program support staff within the CO to generate synergies, leverage resources and achieve greater program impact.
• Strategic and Technical Leadership
• Program and staff management
• Program Quality
• Program Initiatives development and fund raising
• Coalition Building, Policy Engagement, Representation and Engagement with Partners
• Promote Gender Equality and Diversity
• Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
• At least 8 years of experience in senior leadership position in international NGO with demonstrated experience in strategic planning, designing, implementing and managing gender equality and women empowerment programs funded by a variety of donor agencies
• At least Master’s degree in social science, gender studies, women rights, international development or related field
• Ability to analyse and think critically, working constantly through interactive processes.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in strategic planning and contextual analysis of financial inclusion, women rights, entrepreneurship and other relevant program areas.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in leading program/program initiative design and preparation of concept notes and proposals for a range of donor agencies.
• Knowledge and experience on designing and implementing impact measurement systems, financial management, budgeting, follow-up on internal and external audit recommendations, donor compliance and reporting.
• Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with donors, government NGOs, financial institutions, private sectors and research/academic institutions.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience of leading design, implementation and analysis of research and evidence-generation, including strategies for building and managing strategic alliances and coalitions for common programming and for policy engagement and advocacy.
• Knowledge and experience of using different gender analytical frameworks and tools Ability to establish and nurture a reflective learning culture within the team;
• Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills, including strong representation and negotiation skills;
• Commitment and belief in transformative change.
• An approach to mirror our core values: Equality, Integrity, Transformation, Excellence and diversity;
• Ability to work and communicate with a range of stakeholders including policymakers and government officials, NGOs;
• Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
• Demonstrated experience with proposal development with range of international donors such as USAID, EU, DFID,CIDA);
• Ability to thrive in team environments, with a strong understanding of diversity and other cultures
• Excellent written and oral both English and Kiswahili
Planning and Organizing; Negotiations; Initiating Action; networking, Excellence; Integrity; Respect; Diversity; Communicating with Impact; Managing Performance for Success; Facilitating Change; Building Partnership; Strategic Decision Making; Coaching and Mentoring; Emotional Intelligence; Stress Management; Adaptability; Political Acumen; Leading through Vision & Values; Delegating Responsibility.
CARE seeks to improve the lives of the most marginalized, particularly women and girls. Our diversity is our strength. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Applications must be received by CARE CoB, 22 September 2016.
Only a letter of application and CV without supporting documents such as certificates should be sent by email to The Human Resources Manager .
Copies may be posted to CARE International in Tanzania, Box 10242, Dar es Salaam
Source: Tanzania Jobs